Thursday, August 6, 2009

My dreams be [Yours]

The you part of me
Is shifting
Is turning to different lyrics
To explain itself
In verses I've long known
But never knew were yours.

You reach out and take these tunes
The same way you stole my heart
And the same way you broke it:
Without warning
Without any cause you could explain.

And am I disillusioned
To smile?
To find comfort in
Your presence in these familiar songs
To find comfort in
You?

Everyone seems to know
How I should feel
How I should hate you
Should be less forgiving.

You were my destroyer, true
You were
But before that
You were my best friend.

Condemn me if you must, world
For seeing a great kindness
To be much stronger
Than a great cruelty.

How many songs have I found you in?
How great a variety?
How very fundamental is
The you part of me still
That it shows itself in
Something as basic as music?
You are basic to me, yes
As surely as you were base.

And so now the song is
One of moving forward
But with sympathy for
The past

It contains a lot of Ifs, this song
And a lot of Wants
A lot of I Believes
But the part that's certain is
That I will stay in your heart
And you in mine
And yet, above all
I will stay free.

1 comment:

  1. Took some work before this was complete and ready to see the light of day.
    If you can, find the song "dreams be" by Rie Fu. It's the soundtrack to this poem, as it were.

    ReplyDelete