Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Staircase Epyllion

Two young ladies of fair skin, we took the world head-on

I with my short hair of fire; Allie’s golden locks fell long.

Presumably aimless, we wandered that morn

With the sun still low and our shoes well worn.

No goal had been set, no providence defined.

We set off boldly to a destination blind.

Though obstacles were few and the going seemed level,

Soon, and without warn, our hopes became disheveled.

For there up ahead, lies there not an impediment?

An incline of steep steps spread with students’ tracked-in sediment.

Is this some common challenge sent to test us, from the gods?

We measured steps with our eyes, and with our judgment, our odds.

It was I who came forth first, fearing a fate quite grave

Faithful companion, Allie, claimed her duty: my life to save.

The first few chilling steps were without flaw, but what’s this!

It seems this long, hard journey will be far from ease and bliss.

A misplaced foot would be my downfall on one step’s steep lip,

And had my companion not been there, I surely would have slipped.

Recalculating my footfalls and hoping for the best,

I turned and, with eyes full of tears, I breathed solemn bequest.

“My faithful friend, please listen close to what I have to say,

For here in my despair I fear I’m living my last days.

If by chance I do survive, I’ll write an epyllion great,

But should I parish, my friend, I bequeath to you my humble estate.”

And with new strength in our bones and two outcomes distinct,

We two then proceeded, destinies interlinked.

Great monsters we battled: daunting pebbles; slick sand

But at the top of the slant we one day came to stand.

And true to my promise, I wrote from my heart

A tale to forever set us great two apart.

Recall this account whenever trials will stand in your way

And face them with the same bold strength that we two had that day.

2 comments:

  1. ... Allie's thrilled. And she says she'll kill me if I don't think this is awesome (message via aniki~). And I do. XP I think some of the rythem was awkward, but the rest of it (including the topic... oh what a topic! XD) was awesome~. =^^= Kudos! (and cookies!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! Yeah, it wounds better read aloud 'cause you have to say each line juuust right or the rhyme scheme is really off... maybe I'll post a recording of myself reading it.
    But yeah, it was a very fateful day.
    And thank you again for your comment. Yay!

    ReplyDelete